The Grosvenor Room
The Grosvenor Room was built in 1894 by Martin and Chamberlain, and “has richly elaborate plasterwork.” “The bays are divided by Corinthian pillasters which support brackets and beams. There is elaborate stucco work to the spandrels where cherubs support the halves of a scrolled pediment upon which figures sit in high relief recline.”
“Martin and Chamberlain appear, from surviving drawings, to have left a shell to be completed by an unidentified decorator although the dado panelling of Ashburton and Ogwell marbles is indicated.”
It is believed that the musician’s gallery was removed and the balconies were added in the 1930’s.
It is intended to renovate the Grosvenor Room, making it once again the centrepiece of the Hotel and of civic life in Birmingham.
The 1894 Restaurant
The 1901 Valuation plan identified this room as the Hotel Restaurant.
The recent removal of suspended ceilings, services and partitions has revealed some remnants of the historic interior, however the architectural detail is badly damaged.
It is assumed that much of the architectural detail, including the glazed screens dividing this space from the corridor were removed during one of the refurbishments of the restaurant in either the 1930’s or 1950’s.
In the current proposals it is intended to refurbish this space, making it the new Hotel Lounge.
The Grand Staircase
“The staircase halls at ground and first floor levels each have two paired marble columns with granite bases. That at first floor has pilaster responds, round arches and decorative plaster to the ceilings and there are floral motifs to the cast iron balustrade.”
It is thought that this staircase dates from the first refurbishment of the hotel in 1891.
The unsightly metal clad 20th Century lift that occupied the central well of the staircase has already been removed, revealing the grandeur of the space.
The Jubilee Room
The first floor of the the first phase of Plevins’ Building originally housed the Hotel reception and function rooms, accessed via a straight flight staircase from Colmore Row. It is understood that this part of building 1 was substantially remodelled by Martin and Chamberlain, when they introduced the new main staircase. The 1901 Valuation plan identifies this room as the Drawing Room.
Much of the historic detail of this room has been badly damaged during refurbishment projects in the 1950’s and 1970’s.
It is intended to refurbish this room, and return it to being a meeting and function room.
The Commercial Room
This room was one of a number of function rooms built on the first floor of Building 2, constructed circa 1880.
The original elaborate cornice is still visible and there is an elaborate frieze plus remnants of the original picture rail and joinery.
An intrusive concrete fire escape staircase was inserted through this space during the 20th Century.
It is intended to remove this staircase, as part of the re-design of the circulation and fire escape strategy for the whole hotel.
This room will once again become a function room.
The Arbitration Room
This room has an elaborate fretted cornice and lath and plaster ceiling. The joinery to the windows, skirtings and architraves are original, however the original doors had been replaced in the past.
The original fireplace has been lost during a previous refurbishment.
It is intended to reinstate this room as a meeting room.