History

  • 12 January 2012
    Public Consultation – History
    The Grand Hotel first occupied part of the building constructed by Isaac Horton, on Colmore Row and Church Street between 1877 and 1879...
  • 12 January 2012
    Public Consultation – Major Rooms
    The Grosvenor Room was built in 1894 by Martin and Chamberlain, and "has richly elaborate plasterwork."
  • 12 January 2012
    Public Consultation – Current Condition
    The condition of the five buildings comprising the Grand Hotel, shops and offices is superficially poor yet structurally sound...
  • 12 January 2012
    Public Consultation – Vision
    The "Statement of Significance" concluded that the role of the building within the civic life of Birmingham was as important as its physical structure...